Friday, August 12, 2011

Fridays with Julia: Poulet poche au vin Blanc

Hello, I've been a bit umm lazy on my Fridays with Julia posts the last one I posted was way back here in May! I have to admit I as a bit queasy around the raw chicken, I was vegetarian for a few years (oh and I was vegan for a week, but started craving dairy and stopped, but thats another  story). I won't be posting for the weekend since I'm going to my cousins wedding in Oregon, are you doing anything fun this weekend?

Recipe serves 4

for vegetables
2 medium carrots
1 medium onion, and 1/3 cup chopped leek
3 celery stalks
3 Tbsp butter
 Peel the carrots and onions, wash and trim celery. Cut the vegetables into thin slices and cook slowly in a covered casserole in the butter over medium low heat. Stir frequently, and cook until the vegetables are soft but not brown. 














 for chicken
2 1/2 lbs. ready cut frying chicken, washed, dried and trimmed
Salt  
1 1/2 cups dry white wine, or 1 cup French vermouth
About 2 cups chicken stock or canned broth
The following herbs in a washed cheesecloth: Either 1/2 tsp tarragon or 1/2 imported bay leaf, 1/4 tsp time, and 4 parsley sprigs
Salt to taste
 Prepare  the chicken for cooking, salt lightly, and arrange in the casserole, spreading the vegetables over and around it.  Cover casserole and let chicken sweat over medium heat, turning once. Then pour in the wine or vermouth and enough chicken stock to barely cover the chicken. Bury herb packet in the chicken, and bring the casserole to a simmer. Taste and salt lightly if necessary. Cover casserole and regulate heat to maintain liquid at a slow, quiet simmer. Cook the dark meat of the chicken for 15-20 minutes, white meat for 10-15. When you feel it is done, prick the meat o make sure the juice runs clear with no hint of rose. Tilt the casserole to skin of the fat [if there is any, in my case there hardly was any so I didn't bother to do this step] and serve, topped with parsley sprigs, if you wish.
Recipe from Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child and Simone Beck (with a few small tweaks in the writing of the recipe by me). 

Bon appetit!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...